Things are very confusing after an auto accident. The last thing on your mind is getting your paperwork in order. Auto accidents are a daily occurrence all over the Dallas, Fort Worth area. However, this one has now happened to you. You’re rattled and may be injured. That’s unfortunate. But remember that your accident is the first thing on the minds of the other driver and the insurance company. They are thinking up the best ways to defend against your claim.
The insurance company will only offer you a settlement only if they believe that their driver has any legal exposure. The best thing you can do is to show the insurance company that you have a good claim. That requires proper documentation and record keeping. It also requires that you keep your defenses up so that you don’t do anything to jeopardize your claim. Here are some things to keep in mind.
The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of Preparing your Auto Accident Claim.
In order to make sure that you get the best possible settlement you need to follow these tips.
- Hire an experienced auto accident attorney lawyer. This is the first thing your should do, and do it as soon as possible. Handling the case yourself will only lead to problems down the road. Getting a good personal injury attorney early will prevent many these problems from developing in your case.
- Don’t Give a Recorded Statement. You do not have to give a recorded statement to the other insurance adjuster. It is not required by law, and can end up costing you. These statements are admissible and can be used against you in court.
- Don’t Sign Anything. Sometime the insurance adjuster will send you a medical authorization or even a release form. You do not have to give permission to the insurance company to look over your entire medical history. And, absolutely do not sign a release form.
- Gather all Contact Information. Get the name, address and telephone number of the other driver. Also, get the name and policy number of the driver’s insurance. Just getting the insurance information is not enough. You also need the driver’s information. If there are any witnesses, get their contact information also.
- Get the Police Report Number. The police officer should give you the police report number before you leave the accident scene. This reference number is the best way to locate your police report once it is ready.
- Take Pictures. If you can, get pictures of the cars and any visible injuries your may have. This can prove to be very important evidence in your case.
- Gather Your Medical Bills. Make sure you keep your medical bills. Those bills are important in developing the settlement value of your case.
Don’t Panic or Get too Anxious.
That is exactly what the insurance companies want. They will take advantage of you if they sense that you are confused and worried about your case. Therefore, your best bet is to just get an attorney and let them worry it. Then you can relax and let your lawyer handle the headaches of your claim.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and confused, call our office for free consultation. We have lots of experience in getting our clients the best possible settlement for their auto accident claim. The insurance companies have adjusters and lawyers working for them. You should have a lawyer working for you and protecting your rights.
And, best of all, you don’t need to worry about the legal bill. We get paid only when you do. If you don’t get a paid, then you owe us nothing.
Call us today and let’s get started on getting the most out of your auto accident claim.