Wrong Insurance Information in Car Accident

Question:  I was in a car accident that was not my fault.  We exchanged information, but the insurance information I got from the other driver was incorrect. When I called, they said there was no coverage and the policy was not in effect.  What can I do?

Robert’s Answer:  This happens more times than you think.  There is really nothing you can do about it.  Unfortunately, Texas does not provide real-time insurance verification; at least not to the general public.

Notify your insurance company of the accident. If you had uninsured motorist coverage, then your insurance company will handle the claim.  If you did not have uninsured motorist coverage, then hopefully you got good information on the other driver’s name, address and telephone number.  Contact the other driver and see if it was all just a mistake and if he has more current insurance information.  If you don’t get anywhere, then you have no choice but to file a lawsuit.

1 thought on “Wrong Insurance Information in Car Accident”

  1. Good answer! If you have a correct name or license plate number you can probably locate the other driver. A skip tracer could help you. If she had no insurance and if you carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage then you can pursue the UM claim. It makes sense to hire a lawyer to help you with that claim to make sure you get a fair settlement.

Comments are closed.

Scroll to Top